WIP: Getting Back in the Groove

Tuesday

In many classically-structured stories, as soon as the protagonist decides to take on the central problem of the story, a mighty force immediately arises to oppose his efforts. Today was kind of like that. With my goals announced, I drove my daughter across town to spend the day with her grandmother, giving me many hours to work on my project(s).

Unfortunately, the time was continually interrupted, by three different intrusions of increasing urgency. I won’t allow them to further interrupt by describing them here, and I’m getting better at working around interruptions like them, but it was still annoying.

Spring Rains Chapter 10 of 24

 [Cover of Spring Rains: A Victor Storm Novel by T.F. Torrey] Again today, work on Spring Rains was much harder than seems necessary. I’ve been working on this book for a long time now, writing scenes and snippets throughout the book. Now, in several places, I’m having to merge several different versions of the same events into one coherent passage. The worst part is that when I get done, the final version looks not as good as any of the first drafts. This is the strongest evidence I’ve seen yet supporting Dean Wesley Smith’s (and Robert Heinlein’s) one-pass writing approach. From a distance, it is easy to criticize the approach as cutting corners or skipping steps. Looking at the word-by-word and sentence-by-sentence level, though, it is obvious that the one-pass stuff is better. At least it is for me.

I didn’t get the three chapters I wanted to complete, but I did get close. I would probably have finished Chapter 11, but I inserted several new scenes to break up the action and give the punch more power. Most importantly, the rewriting and merging is nearly complete, and I’m feeling back into the flow of writing and completing chapters. I need to blaze through the rest of the book to meet my goals, but I still think I can do it.

Print Editions

On the side, I did some analysis of other print books today. I’ve been holding back my print editions primarily because of one technical concern, and I suddenly wondered if it was something that other publishers worried about. It turns out that it isn’t. So, game on.

One major benefit of my current cover design is that it is dead simple to go from the e-book covers to the print book covers. I reviewed the status of my print projects, and I think I can get one out every couple days (working in my “interrupted” time that is not good for draft writing).

I’ve lost track of the times I’ve said almost the exact same thing. Maybe this time is the real deal. We’ll see.

Daily Results

  • New fiction words: 1500
  • Chapters completed: 1
  • New weblog words: 450
  • Covers completed: 0

Getting stronger.