I’m still adjusting to the new phase, but I got some good work done today.
I spent the workday at my parents’ place, letting my parents and daughter enjoy time with each other while I got some work done. There is plenty of room for improvement, but it wasn’t bad.
Circumstances kept Elizabeth and me by ourselves in the evening, and the next thing I knew it was time to sleep.
Writing: Spring Rains
In many projects, and in this one, there are a lot of false starts at the beginning. A good analogy for writing a book is digging up a skeleton. In the beginning, there is a lot of digging where it turns out there are no bones. As more and more is uncovered, it is easier to dig somewhere productive, but in the beginning, a lot of digging doesn’t uncover anything.
Lately, uncovering the story of Spring Rains has been a lot of frustrating empty holes. So today, at the expense of words, I spent several hours looking at the structure and the bones and figuring out where the skeleton is. By the time I was done, I could see the whole skeleton of the story from the start to the finish. There will surely still be changes, but for the first time I can complete the book by simply writing the scenes I have outlined. And it will be a good book.
This is a great milestone. I know the people and I know the story. There will be challenges, but it it is mostly downhill from here.
I’m not making predictions, but after Zombies Versus Comicon got to this point, the book was done five days later.
- New fiction words: 200
- New weblog words: 300
I’ll take it.